Tuesday, July 31, 2018

My Hated Body

This journal entry was written long before I started counseling. It truly depicts the way that mostly likely for one of the first times in my life that I had come to the reality of what I really looked and felt like. I know now that my weight is genetic but before I knew that, and now, I'm not always good at eating in a way that is healthy. I don't like reading this post because it reminds me of how I have thought about myself for so long and I can quicklly go back into that mind set if I'm not careful. Yes there are days that I silp into these thoughts but I don't linger there for long.  


As I move from place to place I feel the result of years of sedentariness.
The wrenching in my knees as I try to stand sends unpleasant shamefulness to my brain to remind me of my sin.
The stiffness in my back tells me that my body is worn way beyond its years.
The hugeness of my stomach forces me to face the reality of the total neglect that I have so deceptively ignored myself with.
The slumpiness in my shoulders carries the demand of dealing with the guilt and shame of a lifestyle with close to no movement at all.
The pain in my arms as I try to lift myself up screams gluttony, you fool, gluttony.
The heaviness in my heart is a constant enemy that haunts every heart beat of what I have done to me.

The Lie: 
What I have become is shameful and I will never be able to accept myself as I am. Being overweight is all my fault and I will never be able to change it. 

The Truth:  
If I look at myself through the eyes of Christ I can come much closer to accepting myself the way that I am. My weight is a result of a genetic disorder that I have and while I haven't been careful enough to keep me from gaining more weight, it is not my fault that I gain weight easily.   I still struggle with the thoughts about people juding me about how I look but the Word of God says, “….The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 

I Samuel 16:7b


No comments:

Post a Comment